Today (18th March 2021) is Global Recycling Day. In the 21st century, recycling has become more prominent than ever. There is more coverage about the climate and more action.
What is recycling?
Recycling is an action that breaks down and reuses materials which otherwise would’ve been thrown away.
Why do we recycle?
We recycle because it will help the environment become cleaner and healthier for the world and for us.
Benefits of Recycling to the environment
- Protects the ecosystem and wildlife
- Saves energy
- Reduce the demand on raw materials
- Keeps the plastics out of the Ocean
Benefits of Recycling to Us
- Protects our health
- Create new jobs
- Saves money
- Feel good
6 Ways To Help
- Buy Rechargeable batteries – Batteries are packed with harmful materials that will have a harmful effect to the environment.
- Recycling at School –If your school does not have recyclable bins, why not ask for them. You can also create school projects that are environmentally friendly.
- Spending Green – Support eco-friendly companies
- Electronics and the Earth – Many phone providers will recycle your electronics for you.
- Sheets, Towels, Clothing and Toys – Anything that you do not want but still is usable, take to charities as it may be old for you but it could be the best for someone else.
- Get Crafty – There are many ways for you to reuse jars, tubs, paper and many other household items. Make it fun and involve the whole family.
What can you recycle?
- Paper and Cardboard
- Plastic (PET)
Find out how and why here – Why is Recycling Important
Overall, recycling is very important to help the environment recover from the damage that it has been put through. There are many ways that you can help. Remember, don’t feel guilty for not doing everything as just doing something small is helping more than you think.